Sunday 20 December 2009

Baclofen - Curing Our Alcoholism

Is there no end to it? On my first day with Tramadol, I vomited so much that, whilst I had absolutely no pain, I was kept awake by heartburn. Which I almost never normally get. Last night, whilst I had absolutely no pain, I was kept awake with three particularly strange new symptoms.

The first, was shooting “electric” pains in my rectum. It goes under the fancy medical name of proctalgia fugax.. Very unpleasant. The second was “loose” stools. Yep, I now have diarrhoea. The third was profound itching in the same area. It goes under the fancy medical name of “pruritus ani”. I now call it IAS (the I stands for itchy, the S stands for syndrome. You can guess for yourself what the A stands for). Man, it has driven me to distraction. I need some sleep. And yes, they’re all side effects of Tramadol. I have never suffered from them before.

Now, I am a great fan of Emerson, Lake and Palmer, but this is one ELP that I don’t like! A real “bum” trio! Ha!! It’s a good job that my sense of humour is indestructible.

But it leads me on neatly to the subject of Polypharmacy that I shall discuss in TFTD.

Baclofen 50 only. Decided not to take any more than that whilst I am on Tramadol. Tramadol 50mg x 6. Going to start weaning myself off them tomorrow, and see if the liver pain comes back. No cravings. No alcohol.

The “Song for Today” is This Mortal Coil’s version of “Song To The Siren”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mUmdR69nbM

If you have never heard this, you are in for a real treat. A hauntingly beautiful love song, sung in her unique style by Elizabeth Frazer, better known for her work with the Cocteau Twins. In a former life, this song was introduced to me by my own siren. On New Years Eve this year, it will be exactly 20 years to the day since she did so.

Pip xx

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like a real pain in the arse... You ARE weaning off tramadol not bac, or did the ditz read it wrong, there has GOT to be something else they can give you safely for the pain!? Sorry, so sorry for all this suffering, it needs to end........SOON!!! MA

    ReplyDelete