Friday 18 December 2009

Baclofen - Curing Our Alcoholism

Sorry no Diary entry or TFTD yesterday. I'm afraid that I really wasn't up to it. Did a few e-mails, but that was all.
After 2 hours of messing around, I finally got my blood results. Not great. Gamma GT (reasonably alcohol damage related) is 5 times the upper limit of normal. Actually, that's not too horrendous for a boozer!! My bilirubin, whilst still the normal range, has doubled in a week. My alkaline phosphatase (a liver enzyme) was at the upper limit of normal a week ago. It is now 3 times that. My red blood cells are a little swollen (again alcohol related). On the basis of my excrutiating liver pain and thigh paraesthesia, my liver scan has been brought forward to next Tuesday, and I have started Tramadol.
First the good news. The Tramadol has got rid of all of my pains totally. I can now sleep for the first time in 2 weeks.
Now for the bad news. Interacting with Baclofen, I have had almost every side effect of Tramadol. Yesterday, I spent the whole day vomiting, itching, with a totally dry mouth and blurred vision. I actually fainted twice. But that is all worth it to stop that terrible terrible pain. I intend to cover the issue of Polypharmacy in a later TFTD. And rarely, it can mess up your LFT's to boot!
Didn't take the evening Baclofen, so just 40mg. Tramadol 50mgx4 (held back on the last dose of that too). No cravings. No alcohol.
On a last note of optimism. I am as tough as old boots, physically and mentally very strong, and always see the best in everything. The eternal optimist. And I have a great and wicked sense of humour. Often aimed at myself.
Every day, without fail, as soon as I wake up a different song comes into my head immediately, and it stays around all day. On my pc, I have a collection of my most favourite songs. It currently stands at almost 700. And they're just my favourites. So I figure that if I share them with you one every day, it will take me over 2 years to get through them. Now, there's someting to aim for!!
So, totally tongue in cheek, I'm going to start you off with this.
Alice Cooper with "I Love The Dead"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuyGecXu4zw
It is one of my favourite Alice Cooper songs. Has been since I bought Billion Dollar Babies in about 1973. Enjoy.
Speak tomorrow with renewed vigour, energy and enthusiasm for the fight.
Pip xx

1 comment:

  1. HA!! Alice Cooper!!! Would have never thought, listened to him all thru high school, remember smoking in the boys room, schools out for the summer..................haven't heard that one..........I have probably close to 7oo songs on my pc, listening to Everlast/Carlos Santana(talk about great guitarist!!) turn your lights on................good tune..........love music, keeps me alive and young(at least at heart!!?) MA

    ReplyDelete